Sunday, April 6, 2014

You are not fat. You have fat.

I came across a saying the other day that really touched me.  It goes like this:


What a great way to look at things!  And how obviously true is this.  We put so much worth into the amount of fat on our bodies, but we don't pay nearly as much attention to the other parts.  How many eyelashes do you have?  I bet there are people out there who have far more or fewer than you.  Have you ever taken the time to look at someone and say, "I wish I had as few eyelashes as that person!"?   Of course you haven't!  That's silly.  

However, day after day, we compare our fat to other people's fat.  We look in the mirror and see fat.  We put on clothes and feel fat.  We leave the house and wish we weren't fat.  And that's the thing.  We aren't fat.  

In fact, if your worth is found in the amount of fat on your body, then your mindset could use some serious readjusting.  Adjusting is what many of us need to do.  We need to make a change to our perspective.  I'm not sure where along the line such a huge emphasis got put on our fluffly parts.  I remember being in 5th grade the first time I felt "fat", however I don't have any recollection of who made me feel fat.  When did I get that idea that I should feel fat?

How do we change our thinking from fat vs. skinny to healthy vs. unhealthy?

Maybe our generation will be good for something.  Maybe that is our purpose.  Our job might just be to prove to those younger than us that skinny isn't something you want to be. Heck, a size 2 is great, if you are healthy.  In fact, a size 14 is great, if you're healthy.  Take care of yourself!

You can't help the value you were taught. You can't help the foods your parents fed you.  You can make yourself the best you possible.  You can make yourself better.  That better could be smatter, funnier, stronger, happier, or more loving.  Being skinnier will not make you better.

Your worth is not found in your fat.  You aren't fat, you have fat.  You also have fingernails, does that make you fingernails?

No comments:

Post a Comment