Thursday, April 3, 2014

Measuring Progress

The scale is easy.  It's tempting.  It's a liar (somedays).

It is way too easy for me to jump on the scale every morning before I get in the shower.  But when I jump on the scale first thing in the morning, the tone for my day is set.  Even though I know weight can fluctuate greatly due to a variety of circumstances, the scale can still make or break my day.

The scale is tempting.  It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to jump on the scale.  I'm already taking off all my clothes to shower.  I might as well jump on the scale, right?  WRONG!  See previous paragraph for why it's a bad idea, when done daily.  It takes no effort though.

The scale is sort of like keeping your regular life style.  It's easy.  It takes no work.  That's why I'm taking measurements as well.  I don't really know why I didn't think about it before.  At my tiniest adult size, I took measurements regularly.  In fact, I was obsessed if a body part got 1/4" bigger.

The great things about measurements is they are reliable and don't lie.  So I started taking measurements  as shrinking person guideline.  I still weigh myself every now and again, but I mentally prepare myself. Before stepping on the scale I think of the last number that I saw, and I add about 5 to that number.  I tell myself that I could see up to that number and it will be okay.

That keeps me realistic and doesn't set me up for disappointment.  So far it has worked out well for me. Inch-wise I'm down 3 inches overall.  Weight-wise, I've been consistently in the 130s again.

Seeing progress is important.  What do you do to measure your weight loss/shrinking progress?


No comments:

Post a Comment